Monday, April 27, 2015

Massage Therapy for Stress Relief

Ahhhh. I've always wanted to go to a spa and receive a real massage. More than just for my relaxation and pleasure, a massage can be used to reduce my stress levels for 26 weeks or more according to Tessa Graf of my Apeiron experience. Just one massage session can reduce self-reported anxiety by incredible numbers! Massages consist of manipulation of the soft tissue. It can improve circulation, relaxation, overall well-being, and pain reduction. According to Graf, the people who can best benefit from massage therapy are those with chronic pain due to stress. I definitely fall into that category because I get headaches and tight, painful knots in my shoulders and neck from stress.

Since I don't have a lot of experience with massage, I wanted to give you another resource page that gives several techniques for stress relief. The results are listed below, so please visit the page and try them on yourself or someone you know! I will definitely be utilizing these techniques with finals coming up. Click on the link below to try them with me!

Massage Therapy for Stress Relief and Much More by Susan Seliger

  • Relieve Tired Eyes
  • Ease Headaches and Tension
  • Relax the Hands (especially after typing all day...or night)
  • Relieve Neck Tension
  • Loosen Tight Shoulders
  • Release the Lower Back
  • Soothe Tired Feet
Picture from http://cubiclebot.com/comics/a-different-kind-of-foot-massage/

2 comments:

  1. This post made me think back to my theatre performances this past weekend. During warm-ups before curtain our director would have the four of us get a partner and give each other a neck and shoulders massage. It really helped everyone relax, reduced the nerves and got everyone in the zone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never had a back massage, but foot massages are amazing!

    ReplyDelete